Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Divergent Addiction *Updated*

*I no longer recommend this series due to sexual and language content, especially in the third book of the series.  I would probably still recommend the first book, if someone just wanted to read it as a stand alone.  I was very excited that Veroncia Roth professed to be a Christian, and I could see elements of Christian faith in her first book.  As I continued with series, the books lacked in Christian values and faith, and got more and more bad content, and poor writing.  The writing felt forced and hurried in the second and third books.
Also, since I mentioned below about the movie, I will tell you I never saw the movie.  When I noticed from the trailer how much was messed up in the adaptation, I had no desire to see the movie. Below contains my original post.*

I think I am addicted to the Divergent series by Veronica Roth.  I can't stop re-reading the first book.  The series isn't finished yet.  If I re-read the 2nd book, I will go through withdrawal, because I don't have the third book! Because the third book will not be released until October 22, 2013....  I have the date memorized, because that is what you do when you are addicted.  Fun fact: that happens to be one of my grandma's birth date.

I wouldn't have even picked up this book, except one of my friends wanted to read it with me.  So, I went out and bought the book the next day.  I wound up reading the whole thing before she could get a copy and read it with me.  I also caused my brother to get addicted to the series.  That was very easy, because he likes to read everything that I read.  That means I've got to be really careful, I mean REALLY careful about what I read, because he is younger than me, and he should not be tainted.

I am also pumped for the Divergent movie... to be released March of 2014!

So, why am I addicted to Divergent, you may ask?  I like everything about the book, except for the romance.  There is just a little to much romance, if you ask me.  The plot would move a whole lot faster without the romance.

I wrote this review for the Teen Summer Reading Program.  I think it is ridiculous that the Teen Summer Reading Program goes from age 11 to 20.  I like free books though, so I participated.  Anyway, here is my review:

This is one of my top 10 favorite books.  The concept was different from other popular Dystopian books, and quite interesting.  This story is set in Chicago in the future.  There is a fence surrounding Chicago, but is the fence there to keep the citizens in, or to keep them safe?  This is very fast paced, full of adventure, some romance, and plenty of intrigue.  This is definitely a book for teens, young adults, or adults... this is not a children's book.  At age 16, each person has to decide what type of lifestyle they (he, or she) will live. There are five choices:  Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), and Erudite (the intelligent).  Beatrice Prior must choose between staying with her family in Abnegation, or leaving her family for a new faction, and possibly never seeing them again.  This is not all of the story though, much of the story is wrapped up in government secrets and a brewing civil war.  Beatrice learns what she is really made of.  I really enjoyed this book.  Although the book is large (487 pages), I got through it in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!