Wednesday, January 22, 2014

SkyShip Academy Series


First I have to tell you that these are the first two books of the SkyShip Academy Series.  There is already a third book (published in October of 2013, but I have not read that one yet).  The books are backwards in the picture; The Pearl Wars is the 1st book, and Crimson Rising is the 2nd one.

The first book was a real shocker.  I thought I was just reading a book about another dystopian society.  That was not the case at all. I can't tell you what happened, because that would be a major spoiler.  The only hint I'm going to give you is "think Superman".

There are two societies in the book:  the Skyship dwellers, and the Surface dwellers.  The Skyship dwellers are like rebels; they don't follow the government. The Surface dwellers are people who live on the destroyed earth that was dried out by a nuclear holocaust, which was supposedly from Russia.  The only way to run and operate things is by an invention that uses these pearls that fall from the sky to power everything, including the Skyships that the Skyship dwellers live on, and all the buildings and appliances that the Surface dwellers use.

There are two main characters: Jesse Fisher, a Skyship slacker, and Cassius Stevenson, a Surface operative (like a spy).  There are both age 15.  I guessed one of the two major plot twists that happened in this story. I'm not going to tell you what the twist is, because that is a major spoiler, too.

I give Pearl Wars 4 Stars. I recommend it for ages 12 and up, because there is violence and death.  There may also be use of mild curse words by adult characters in the book once or twice.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you much about Crimson Rising, because it involves too many spoilers to tell you anything productive about the book.  The series continues on with the same characters, and adds a couple new ones.  I gave this book 4 Stars also.  I think I liked this book even better than the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!