Thursday, January 16, 2014

Turtle in Paradise Book Review


Turtle in Paradise, by Jennifer L. Holm, is about an 11 year old girl named Turtle.  Turtle, I love that name.  I would totally name my daughter that.

Turtle in Paradise is set in 1935, during the Great Depression.  Much like today, people had a hard time finding a job. So, when her Mom gets a job with a lady who dislikes kids, Turtle is sent off to live with her Aunt and her cousins in Florida.

This book has all kinds of cool stuff in it, like family secrets, and buried treasure.  I loved the funny names, like Kermit, Pork Chop, and, of course, Turtle.  I loved Turtle's character development.  I loved all the references to Shirley Temple and Little Orphan Annie.  This book is extremely funny!  I laughed out loud, A LOT, while reading it.  This is a Newberry Honor book, and the author is a three time Newberry Honor award winner.  I loved that Turtle's cousin's had a club called "The Diaper Gang".  I thought it was funny how they had a secret to cure diaper rash.

I give this book 5 stars, and recommend it for ages 7 to 15, or anyone who is a history buff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!