Monday, October 13, 2014

The Fairest Beauty Book Review

I apologize for lack of blog posts, and failure of new pictures.  I have had continued technical difficulties with computer and camera.  My Mother and my Brother were in a car accident, and life has been crazy.  We are also re-modeling our kitchen... I am so tired of living in a construction zone!  So, this is an old picture, but I will get on with the review!  Thank you, for your patience.
The Fairest Beauty By Melanie Dickerson is the first book by Melanie Dickerson that I read, even though it is her 3rd book. This book is part of her Fairy Tale series.  The Fairest Beauty is her Snow White re-telling, "Snow White" is named Sophie. One of the things that sets these books apart from the many fairy tale re-tellings is that Melanie Dickerson's books have Christian elements throughout the story.  The characters pray, they read the Bible, and they grow in their faith.

Just like in the original fairy tale, Sophie is so pretty that the evil Duchess (the Queen character) wants her dead, because she is more beautiful than her.  The book really gets going when one of the Duchess's servants, Pinnosa, escapes to tell Sophie's betrothed that she still lives, because the betrothed's family thinks Sophie is dead. Sophie's betrothed is injured, so he can not go and rescue her at that time, but his younger brother is like "I can do it, pick me!". So, some things happen and younger brother, Gabe, goes to rescue her. That's all I can tell you about the plot line. But I can say that this book is SO historically accurate! That is another thing I adore about these books.  It is set in... um, well, I just looked at my book, and it does not say. If I had to guess, I would have to say from when the next book is set, and how much time has passed, 1410 or 1411.                                                                                                                                                        
I LOVED this book!!! I read this book so fast. And I loved how the book was told from a lot of the characters point of views, because you know how in some books you just want to know what one of the other characters is thinking, but you don't get to know. And it makes you CRAZY! The Fairest Beauty will not make you crazy in that way. I give The Fairest Beauty 5 stars! As I have said I love it! This is a hard one to recommend, because I think so many ages would love this book. As for reading this if you are younger, I think some 10 year olds could read it and it be good for them, and for others, they would not be ready for it yet. There is a little kissing, a little violence, and some blood.  This is a book for "teens", but I think a lot of people out of their teens would love this, too. My Mother is far beyond her teens, but she LOVES to  hear me tell her about these books, and read her excerpts.  I know she would have read them already, if she had more time.

I really related to Sophie, because we have similar personalities.  I felt like she acted the same way I would in her situations.  I feel like a lot of the time, especially in books that have a love story in them, the characters do not communicate and it's just like: TALK! But they don't. That is not what happens in this one. A fun thing about The Fairest Beauty is that it just (on the 11th of October, this year) won the Maggie Award. You may be wondering why I did not review The Healer's Apprentice first, that is because I am reviewing the books in the way that I read them, as opposed to publication date, or chronological order.

The order I read these books is:  The Fairest Beauty, The Captive Maiden, The Healer's Apprentice, The Merchant's Daughter, and The Princess Spy (YES, The Princess Spy!  No, it's not out yet... I got my first ARC!!!!).
The Publication order is:  The Healer's Apprentice, The Merchant's Daughter, The Fairest Beauty, The Captive Maiden, and then The Princess Spy.
The Chronological order is: The Merchant's Daughter, The Healer's Apprentice, The Fairest Beauty, The Captive Maiden, and The Princess Spy.

Another awesome fact about these books is that are all connected to each other with family members from different families, throughout generations.

FYI: I plan to do a spoiler review on this book.  There is so much I want to talk about, but I don't want to ruin the reading experience for those who have not had a chance to read this fabulous book yet.  Also, I don't want to leave out anything, so I want to re-read thoroughly before I write that review.

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book now after reading your review! I will add it to the top of my TBR list. I think that it is cool how all of the books are connected to each other with family members from different families, throughout different generations. That should make it extra interesting! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Sadly no, The Fairest Beauty has been out for a couple of years. The only one of Melanie Dickerson's books that I have been blessed to get an advanced copy was of The Princess Spy. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers!