Friday, May 1, 2015

Book Haul #4 (this time of the conference variety)


So, I went to a Homeschool Conference.  And I may have spent a lot of money.  More than I budgeted.  But not more than I had in my wallet.  That's why I don't have a credit card.


This was the first book that I did not pick out at the Homeschool Conference.  My Mother picked it out, kindly, for me.  Then, I needed this book in my life.  It's about Amy Carmichael, written by Elisabeth Elliot, two amazing missionary women.


This is the second book I finished reading from this haul.  If you are a un-married girl, you must read this.  No, it's not a self-help book on how to get a man, like I previously thought from the first time I heard this title.  Before You Meet Prince Charming, by Sarah Mally, is one of my new favorite books.



I am currently reading Growing Up Duggar, by Janna, Jill, Jessa and Jinger Duggar.  This book is really good, so far.  I read bad Goodreads reviews before I read books, because this helps me in my life.  That way I can think about opinions while I am reading, and be able to defend good books.  Anyways, on this Goodreads Review, someone thought this was a memoir.  This is not a memoir,  it's more like a self-help book on relationships. 



A Constant Heart, by Siri Mitchell, is a historical fiction novel in the time of Queen Elizabeth I.  There is something to do with romance in the book, because I read about the romance in several Goodreads reviews.



Just Ella, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, is a Cinderella retelling that is very non-typical.  I read this book in 2012 from the library.  I've been wanting to own this book ever since.  Now I do.



Palace of Mirrors, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, is the sequel to Just Ella.  I found out about the sequel earlier this year.  I borrowed this book from the library, also.  Now I own it.  There is a third book in the series that was just released.


I read the entire Among the Hidden/Shadow Children series in 2012.  I only owned the first book.  The next year, I only owned the first two books.  Two years later, I now own the first four books.  Among the Betrayed is one of the two books I picked up.  I can't tell you anything about the plot of this book, because SPOILERS!  I can tell you what the series is about.  Among the Hidden and the following books are about a dystopian future where people are only allowed to have two children, but some people have more children.  The third, or more children, are called "Shadow Children", because they have to hide in the shadows, or the government kills them.


Among the Barons, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, is the other book in the Shadow Children Series that I found at the awesome used book vendor.  I only got three books that were not from that particular vendor.  I went back to them three times.  That's why I spent all that money.


Ohhhh, Trixie Belden.  I recently found out that these books are, once again, out of print.  I have already read The Mystery off Glen Road, by Julie Campbell.  This is a very good book.  I highly recommend this series.  This particular cover is the newest reprint which was done in the early 2000's.  You can probably still find them at your local library.  The first book is called The Secret of the Mansion.  Being as this series is out of print, I wanted them even more.  I already owned the first four books.


This is book six in the Trixie Belden series, The Mystery in Arizona.  The first six books were written by the same author.  The next books were written by ghost writers.  You can tell the difference between the original six and the next books in the series.  The first six books are the best!  Although, the author must have changed again as the series went on, because the writing gets better after a while.


Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen, was Jane Austen's first published novel.  This book is about Catherine Morland, who loves Gothic romance novels. She gets invited to Northanger Abbey, being influenced by all those novels of intrigue, she starts imagining all kinds of crazy stuff happening.  I think I'm going to like this book.


Christy, by Catherine Marshall, is the same book that the "Christy Award" is named after.  I have enjoyed every "Christy Award" winning book that I have read.  So, I thought I should read the book Christy.  The synopsis sounds pretty cool.



I read the Addie McCormick series a few years ago.  I started this series on the recommendation, and gift, of my amazing pen pal.  She could not get into later books of the series, but I did.  I enjoyed the later books just as well as the first book that she gave me.  Addie McCormick and the Mystery of the Missing Scrapbook, by Leanne Lucas, is book two in the series.  


I love the Donna Parker books that I have found and read previously.  I especially like Donna Parker Special Agent.  I had never seen Donna Parker Mystery at Arawak, by Marcia Martin.  I like mysteries, can you tell?


This book is not a mystery, but Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry, is a teensy bit mysterious.  This is the second book in The Giver Quartet.  This is the first book I finished out of this haul.  I was disappointed, because I did not like this book as well as The Giver.


So, I got the third Robin Kane book as a gift from my Grandma.  We were looking for Nancy Drew, or Trixie Belden books a few years ago.  We found Robin Kane.  I read the third book, and I loved it. Robin Kane The Mystery of the Phantom, by Eileen Hill, is the second book in series.  I know, I'm reading them out of order.  Chill.  They are hard to find.

The End.


2 comments:

  1. Wow it looks like you got a lot awesome books! I haven't done a book haul like that in a long time! Thanks for sharing all the books you got! :)
    - Laura @ Crafty Booksheeps
    craftybooksheeps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!