Sunday, August 2, 2015

Pride and Prejudice Book VS. Movie Review


Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, is a stand alone written in the late 1700's, and rewritten in 1811 and 1812, and published in 1813, in England.  The book is about a girl named Elizabeth Bennet who is getting to be an "old maid".  Her mother is trying to get all of her girls married (Mrs. Bennet has five daughters, no sons).  In this time, they needed their girls to be married to have a house, because girls could not own property.

First I'll start out with Pride and Prejudice the book.  This book is about misconceptions, love, pride and prejudice from all sides.  I love this book, and I think the story teaches a lot of good lessons. This book is funny.  Before I read this book, someone had said to me that this book is funny.  And I was like, "No way is this old book funny!"  But guess what?  It is!

I am going to say that the first 18 chapters are slow.  I had a really hard time getting past them, but you may not, if you don't know who everyone is already.  There is a chapter at the end of the book that is just a description of a dinner table!  The book is at a point where you just want things to happen and characters to be with their "love";  all we get is a telling of how the dinner table is set up!

Back to good things.  Jane Austen is great at character development!  Wow!  What you think about someone can go from 0 to 60 in this book!  Over all,  I really liked this book and want to read more Jane Austen .  I finally read all of this book back in December 2014, but I got the book way back in November 2013.  Sadly, I had been trying to read Pride and Prejudice since then, and I kept stopping at chapter 18 or 19.  I just could not keep reading, and then I was like "I guess this book is just not for me," but then I was like "It has to be!  I love all the adaptations! I have to like the book".  So, I got a free audio-book (not from audible but from LibriVox!) and got past those chapters.  I was able to read smoothly from a paperback book after that.

I saw the movie before I read the book... Yes, I know.  How could I?  But I did not own the book, and I was sick at the time.  So, it's not like I could just run out to the library and get it.  And I did know that it was one of the books that I wanted to own in my life, and have in my library, seeing as it is a "classic" and all.

If I had not watched the movie, I may have not read the book until was very old, and like "Oh, I think I want to read that.  I guess now that I am old, I am 998, and this is a book that was much loved in the old days."
The movie out in 2005, starring Keira Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet, is a pretty good book to movie adaptation.  The actors really portrayed the characters well.  I thought the costuming was about 85% good, 15% not-so-good.  The movie did cut out a lot of the middle of the book and some things were changed.  I don't get why some of the things they changed were changed.  Unfortunately, my favorite part of the book is the middle part.  I do get why they had to cut out some of my favorite parts.  The book is on the long side, and that would make a very long movie that I would see, but not everyone would like to watch hours on end of pride and prejudice.

I recommend this book for ages 100 13 and older.  I'm saying 13, because there are some innuendos, the main characters are in their 20's and 30's, and this is a dense classic (under 13 may not make it through those first 18 chapters!).  There is alcohol and drunkenness, not by the main characters.  The movie is probably enjoyed best by the same age group.

BONUS:
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries on youtube was the first literary web series that I watched.  I marathoned it in one or two days.  There is cursing in some episodes, which I don't appreciate.  Overall, the actors, writers, and producers did a good job of making a modern adaptation of the book.  The web series really made me want to read the book more, because I watched this before I read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!