Friday, April 14, 2017

Miss Match by Erynn Mangum Book Review


Miss Match is the first of a three to five book series, depending on how you look at it. There are the main three told from Lauren's point of view, and then there are two more after that (by some years) told from Annie McKay's point of view. The later two books happen after Annie moves to the same town that Lauren lives in with all of her family and friends.  If you choose to read the last two books, you do get a good look at how the characters have grown and are the same, but different.  Books four and five are for sure a part of the story, but kind of like there is The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (but not quite... that is just the best way I came up with to describe it).  The first book is a modern-day Emma (by Jane Austen) re-telling with a twist.

The narrator, and main character's name, is Lauren Emma Holbrook.  She is super funny! She's in love with Jesus, coffee and chocolate and may very well enjoy match making a little much.... okay, so it's her main hobby, fine so it's her only hobby, besides being in the pursuit of chocolate and Mr. Darcy.  But what's a photographer supposed to do when people just need to be put together???? And they don't know how, or what to do?!

There is an awesome, semi-eccentric cast of characters ranging from Lauren's​ father, the hypochondriac; her two older sisters (who are both married, one of whom Lauren takes some credit for); her almost-brother and boss, Brandon; Ruby, her co-worker; and Ruby's brother, Ryan; Hannah, a new addition to the office; and her Pastor Nick + her adorable nieces and nephews. If this does not have you a little interested, I'm sorry. I'm not that good of a writer, and I don't do books justice sometimes. Did I tell you she is a photographer, and that is really hilarious and interesting to read about?

I loved the God content.  Lauren totally grows as a woman in Christ.  And Lauren's reading her Bible always made me want to read mine, too.  Her story is engaging, and I loved that she was always her crazy self, not confirming to the world, and being renewed in her relationship with the Lord.

As for an age recommendation, I think 13 or 14 would be great, but older than that is 1000% awesome, too! Lauren is in her very early twenties in the first three books, except for the very, very, very, very beginning of the first book where she is only 19. There is no bad content though, so if you want to read it younger, it is 100% appropriate. In this series, the main character's romantic relationship does not even share one kiss until they are engaged. (As you go on in the books the couple's that Lauren is setting up, do kiss, but it's not anything crazy).

There is obviously romance, as it is an Emma re-telling, but it is family-friendly. Something I really appreciate in Mangum's writing, with this book and the others I have read by her, is that the story is clean and God centered.  This is one of my favorite books to read when I need a laugh, but it is also serious enough. I actually consider it a really good mix of humor with substance.

Reasons for lack of posts is all the problems with my internet and technology, I won't bore you with the details. I'm looking forward, hopefully and Lord willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!