Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Miles From Nowhere by Amy Clipston Review/Rant

*Disclaimer:  I highly dislike this book and this will not be a very happy post.  If you don't want to read this review, I get you.  I can see why other people would like this story, and I can see how this could be an important book for teaching you what not to do.  I imagine part of why I didn't like it is because it is very different than the first two books in this series.*


Miles From Nowhere, by Amy Clipston, is the third, and final, book in Amy's contemporary, companion, YA series.  I have positive reviews of book 1 and book 2.  This book follows Chelsea the summer after her senior year of high school.  She is working at a local restaurant owned by her boyfriend's father and mother, and doing costumes for a production of Grease at a local theater.  She is also responsibilities with her five-year-old twin brothers.

Chelsea ends up making a lot of bad decisions that include, but are not limited to, underage drinking and getting in a car with a drunk driver.  She spends her summer being very irresponsible in general. This could be super real and accurate to things that happen in real life, but I was not a fan.

There are some things I really liked including her boyfriend, Todd, but not Todd putting up with her.  I liked Buttons (her cat), her Mom, Step-dad and little brothers.  Her friend, Marni, I have mixed feelings about, but I did like it when she was in the picture.  I do kinda think that Chelsea learned some good lessons, but she could have learned a bit more about guarding her heart, and just having common sense.

I can't talk about most of what I hate, because it is spoilers.  So my last words before that is DON'T BE LIKE CHELSEA!!!!!!  Also, I can not recommend Miles From Nowhere, even if you want to read it to see what not to do, unless you are 15.  I hope by then you can see past Chelsea's lies, horrible decision making, and be mature enough to know that underage drinking is bad.  Also, there is quite a bit of kissing.


SPOILERS FOLLOWING!!!!




Okay, so I guess you have read the book, or you just don't care about being spoiled.

To start, I don't like Chelsea.  On re-reading this book, I had even more problems with her.  I don't think that she and Todd should have gotten back together at the end.  Don't get me wrong, I like Todd, but he should have someone that is not her.
At the end, Chelsea was acting all perfect, like she knew she had not been smart. Only, I still feel like she was the same at the end and that no real change had happened.
I don't like that she lied to her family. I think she should have been punished more than she was.  I know that she was grounded for two weeks, and that is a decent punishment.  Sorry, but I think that she should have had to pay the extra money to the daycare when she was late picking her brothers up, because it was her and responsibility, and would make her responsible for what she had done.
Dylan was the worst guy ever.  I know that he is supposed to be bad and he was, but I don't know, I disliked him from the start and in Chelsea's head he is the best thing ever.
All the underage drinking!!!!! Please stop!!!
I like that Marni does not drink, but who's to really say how many parties until she tries some?  Maybe never, but putting herself in a situation like that is not the smartest decision.  I kept thinking about if someone called the cops, because​ she is at the party where they're doing illegal things, and that can go on a permanent record and stop her from getting jobs in the future or even getting into a different college.
I wish that there was a lot more Emily and Whitney (main characters from the first two books), if there was, I may have been able to stand the book more.
I personally think Chelsea was cheating on her boyfriend by going out with Dylan and going to Dylan's parties.  If she was just going to the parties, I might be able to let her off, but she went on a double date with him while she was dating Todd (even if it was not labeled as a date).
I feel that the end wraps up to easily.
Also, I get the feeling that Chelsea had never worked on a theater production before.  She was all "I was not planning on having the Pink Lady jackets done until performance night, because they are not that important."  Mmmm, jackets influence the way you move, so you have to have them to rehearse in, and practice getting them on and off on stage.  I am mostly annoyed about this because she talks about being a main-ish costumer in school productions before this and now she's the head costumer​.
Don't race cars.  From my knowledge, her injuries after the car wreck would not have not been noticeable yet, because the amount of time that had passed was not enough.
I wish Chelsea would have thought about being careful with the prescription drugs she was taking for pain, because after all she did in the summer, I would hate for her to get addicted to those.  Not that she was, but I am worried about her!!!
I feel that it romanticized Todd almost beating up Dylan, even though that is so un-Christian.  Please, be slow to anger.  I feel like Todd's character changed at the end, and he was just not himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers!