Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Coronation by Livy Jarmusch Book Review Blog Tour


The Coronation, by Livy Jarmusch, is a contemporary novel, set in a made up country called Tarsurella. This is the first book in a triolgy.   Tarsurella reminded of the country of Genovia from Princess Diaries.  They're similar in that the setting is modern times and not magical, but a fictional European Kingdom.   Tarsurella is it's own country with rules, laws and problems, not a copy of Genovia.   Of course Tarsurella has a monarchy.

The book mainly focuses on the royal family of Tarsurella.  I am a sucker for royal family stories and if you are, too, you will probably be in love.  I think I am mainly in love with stories like this because I have exactly zero Kings, Queens, Princesses, or Princes in my country.

As for characters, we have Addison, the Crown Prince, whose coronation is the center piece of the story.  We have all of his very big family!  I can't go into detail about all of them, because then this would be as long as the book.  Some of his sisters are Princess Bridget, Princess Chasity and Princess Hope is also a big part of the story.  The younger members of the royal family are all super adorable, sweet and awesome!  They remind me of myself when I was a kid.  There is a member of the Royal Family I am not as into, but I think he is kind of an Edmund (from The Chronicles of Narnia) type character and he is well written.  So, I can for sure I appreciate him as a chacter.

The royal family are not the only main characters.  Hanson Fletcher is a security guard for the Royal Family.  Vanessa Bennett is an American Tourist and a humanitarian.  We also have David, who is a part of an American rock and roll band.  Lance is another security guard and has a decent amount to do with the story.  Clark, a kitchen servant, is a personal favorite of mine.  There are more side characters but they are not as big of a deal, or are introduced much later, and it could be a spoiler to know about them yet.

The castle!  I have to talk about the castle!!!  It is practically a character itself.  The castle is so well described and intricate, very classy and atmospheric.

This book also made me laugh out loud.  Here is one of the quotes:


You may be thinking from all that I have said that this book is just a fluffy, light romance story, but romance is not a big part of the story.  This book is more about family relationships and exciting, scary events.  Scary events that are, sadly, very prevalent in our lives today.  I enjoyed the characters' faith and how Livy portrayed them.  I also appreciate the characters standards in their lives.  The standards of some characters are similar to mine in many ways.  The characters' faith really takes over their lives in ways that you don't see in many book characters these days.  The evidence of faith was probably one of my favorite parts.  I have read other books by the author and, I have to say, this was the best one yet!

I have to share a couple more quotes I enjoyed:




This is an intense read in some parts, for reasons I talk about in the spoiler section.  The faith aspect in the midst of trouble was just amazing.  I especially enjoyed that this book tackled a subject that is very little in fiction so far.  The other book I have seen something like this in was Cloak of the Light ( Wars of the Realm Series by Chuck Black), and that was a very different setting from this novel.

One more thing I liked was the character Q & A at the beginning of the book.  I feel like I got to know the characters so well.  It was nice to think back on as I got to see them live their lives.  I do wish I had the hard copy, because I would have liked to go back to that as I read and put "a face with a name" type thing.

This book also has some awesome homeschool representation!!!!!  As a homeschooler, I love that.  We need more well done and accurate homeschool representation like in this one.

On why I recommend this book for 14+ is in the Spoilers.  The Coronation has a very clean and light romance, with an amazing story to back it up.  The family-first theme of this book drew me in.  I really liked how this book talked about guarding your heart; I feel like that needs to be in more romance stories.


*I was given a copy of this book, for free, from the author as part of the blog tour.  With that said, everything said in my review is 100% really how I feel, and I am planning on buying the hard copy, because I like this book.*


REALLY BIG Spoilers Ahead!!!!!!






Princess Bridget's boyfriend *now ex-boyfriend* tried very hard to get her to kiss him, even though she was all about saving her first kiss for her wedding.  It is mentioned that he tried to take advantage of her lips (that is when she ended it with him) and that they later found a video recorder in her bedroom that same night.  He was being paid by a magazine, and the royal family assumed he was going to sell the recording of whatever happened that night.
There are poor, starving, homeless people in the country. The question is asked why the ruling family cannot do more for them, but instead have lush, extravagant parties with expensive clothing.
There is a attack on the royal family at Addison's coronation and it is intense,  probably not something for most non-teen readers (although, many of the characters are calling on God to help them and that part is really beautiful).
A character is a mentally unhealthy and another character has to make the hard choice to have him go somewhere for help.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for your sweet review! It was such a blessing having you be part of the Blog Tour! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! And thank you for writing the book! It was so fun being a part of it!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!